Don’t Deceive Yourself
If a person is teachable, and adheres to the instructions found in the Bible, they will recognize any errors on their part and correct themselves. It requires a willing heart to grow in humility and make changes.
- Proverbs 12:15 He that harkens unto council is wise.
- Proverbs 15:32 He that hears correction gains understanding.
- 2 Corinthians 3:5 Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith: prove your own selves.
- Deuteronomy 11:16 Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them.
Pay attention to where you give your time and your affection.
- Psalm 55:19 Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.
Be willing to change when you hear correction from the Word of God.
- Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
Be careful what you allow into your heart, what you feed on, what you listen to, and what you watch as it affects your heart condition and your entire life.
The next verses show us that sin causes deception:
- Hebrews 3:13 But exhort one another daily while it is called “today” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
- Obadiah 1:3 The pride of your heart has deceived you. Guard against pride by not taking credit for anything that has gone well with you, but give the credit and thanks to Jesus, because without him, we can do nothing.
- Jeremiah 49:16 You have been deceived by the fear you inspire in others and by your own pride.
It’s interesting to note the phrase, the fear you inspire in others. If you are living in fear and promote it to others, this will produce pride and deception in you.
- Romans 7:11 Sin took advantage of those commands and deceived me.
Sin brings deception.
- Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
- 2 Timothy 3:13 But evil people and imposters will flourish. They will deceive others and will them selves be deceived.
People are deceived by pride, by sin, by evil people, by strong drink, and by living in fear. Jesus commanded us not to fear. We are not supposed to entertain fear in our minds, but instead we are to rebuke it because fear is a spirit. The only thing we are to fear is Almighty God Himself.
Copyright 2007-2022 Soul Choice Ministries – All Rights Reserved
By Bill Wiese, author of 23 Minutes in Hell